The McNamees

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Snow Day!


Icy Southerly blast passing through overnight - Check
Wind dying down and sun coming out - Check
Weekend not weekday - Check
Liam rugged up and ready to go ..dammit - packed him onto a plane this morning!

I've been waiting for the stars to align for a snow day since we moved back to Wellington last year - I loved them as a kid and Liam has yet to see snow first hand so I'm dying to take him up to the top of the Rimutaka Hill Road after snowfall to build a snowman, and well lets face it, have a fairly one sided snow fight. Everything was perfect for it today, but as luck wouId have it, I had to bundle him off on a flight to Tauranga with Saady and Priya as the tail end of the gale force southerly shook the city up.

Nonetheless - snow remains something of a fixation for me so I rustled around for some outdoor gear and headed for the hills anyway. I was not disappointed the conditions were awesome following what was probably one of the heavier snowfalls in recent years. I did the short walk up to the Rimutaka trig station (first timer) in surprisingly mild conditions with about about six inches of snow cover and feasted my eyes on the views. The Tararua Range and Aorangi Mountains were clouded in and still catching snowflakes, but the views of Lake Wairarapa and Mt Climie were spectacular.

And a happy birthday Stu - the pics are for you - I know you're keen to get back to the Tararua tops one of these days, these might stir up the yearning.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home