Stormy Weather Fun!
As a kid I loved doing rainy day stuff – if there was flooding in the Hutt Valley, big swells breaking on the south coast, snow on the Rimutaka Hill, or even if the stream at the front of the house was overflowing (time to build a dam) - I wanted in. I was really excited when Dad took us out to the Wainuiomata coast to see the Pacific Charger, a freighter that had grounded off Baring Head in heavy seas, when I was about six years old in 1981. I remember seeing the waves hit its hull and sending spray over its decks – the poor bastards who crewed her were having a rotten time – and I was having the time of my life! The Wainuiomata creek was in full flood that day too – that sticks out in my mind – pity the town survived…
Things tend to be a bit more placid here in Auckland but for the odd traffic jam when the rain is pelting down, but there has been a wee bit of drama in the few hours as the electricity network failed in the CBD and surrounds. So after a few hours of thumb twiddling most people have headed back home - me included. There has been some heavy rain over here on the Shore so I noticed on my way home that the normally placid Wairau Creek, usually about an inch deep is in flood – not twelve hours after I boldly stated to Saady that I thought flooding wasn’t really a risk over here and we probably didn’t need a civil defence kit…and I stand by that assessment. Threes a small man-made waterfall a bit down from our house on the creek that has always been a trickle but seeing as I was home early today I had to take Liam down to have a look at it with some serious flow during a break in the storm – loving it!Nice matching beanies aren’t they – his cute little one was knitted by his Great-Gran Villiger and has a bit of possum fur in the blend making it nice and soft on his noggie. I really rate it because it just wouldn’t be her if there wasn’t a .22 rifle or a Callaway involved somewhere in its production!
Labels: When I Was A Boy...




4 Comments:
"The boys,".... very, very cute!
By
Anonymous, at June 13, 2006
Of course the photo reveals that our official photographer and safety inspector, Saady, was there to share the moment too...
He slept right through in his own bed last night too Gran - the first time since he was sick - we were starting to wonder...
By
The McNamees, at June 14, 2006
You guys shouldn't have been outside in that storm. DANGER!
By
Stu as "Stu", at June 14, 2006
The danger he faces is nothing in comparison to what young Frankie will have to deal with - he's likely to get swamped by a wave when he starts crawling at Wigtoft...
By
The McNamees, at June 14, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home