Snow Day - Part 2
Finally got to take Liam up to the top of the Rimutaka Road today for a bit of snow play. We headed up after breakfast this morning but the hill road was closed due to the overnight snowfall - he wasn't too happy about that but I figured we could get a second bite at the cherry later in the day. There were traces of slush at the top of Te Marua Hill and fair bit sitting in the beech trees in the hills surrounding Pakuratahi Forks. Both of these were something I haven't seen in many moons - really beautiful - tickled me pink. After a bit of distraction chucking rocks into the river and walking the swingbridge we headed home, chowed down some kai, and headed back in the afternoon. Surprisingly there was less snow accumulation than last time I went up, but again it was amazing just how sheltered it was on the north facing slope near the pass. Liam had a ball once he got his head around it - initially I don't think he really knew what to make of it - partly because he slept in the car on the way up and woke up in winter wonderland. For the first five minutes he wouldn't touch the stuff because he told me it would make his gloves dirty! Such fastidiousness was never going to lead to a snowball fight...We've got a chilly bin chocka with snow we harvested outside the back door to make ourselves a snowman tomorrow morning. I'm figuring it won't melt tonight as the overnight low here atop the western hills will be a sweltering 2°C. Photo's of our efforts to follow tomorrow if I'm right...nothing to follow if I'm wrong.
Labels: Milestones, Weekends




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home